Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Golden CPU, it's all about G0 Stepping



If you (like me) love to build computers, you might have already heard about G0 stepping revision of Intel's Quad Core Q6600 processor. When I found out about G0, a.k.a. Golden CPU, a.k.a. SLACR I did some research online, and couldn't contain my excitement. I had to tell all my friends about it. To my surprise none of them heard about this CPU, even tho it had been available since before August 2007! To my shame, I didn't know about it either. So what exactly is G0?
Each Intel's CPU has a model number (i.e. Q6600 or E6000) and a revision or stepping. Intel originally released it's first affordable Quad Core proc Q6600 in January 2007. This processor was a B3 stepping model. Q6600 has four cores on it, runs at 2.4Ghz and essentially it's two E6600 procs in single package. Every once in a while Intel takes existing CPU and revises it. Usually it's done to fix some issues, lower manufacturing costs, or add a feature. Think of it as a service pack for Windows. But this time, improvements done in G0 stepping revision were so great, that it allowed Q6600 chip run at lower voltage, consume less power, and thus it became extremely stable and easy for overlocking. Without much effort you can overclock 2.4Ghz CPU to 3Ghz, and you don't even need 3rd party cooling solution. Many reported that this proc will run under 50 C under heavies of loads using stock cooler that comes with it. But that's not all (now I fill like I'm doing one of those stupid TV commercials: "If you call in the next 10 seconds, you will receive second piece of crap absolutely three" hehe ) , Q6600 G0 stepping costs same as older B3 stepping part, and can be found for under $270 online. Trick is that sometimes you don't know which revision you are getting. Some sites explicitly advertise that they only sell G0 stepping, but sometimes they also charge few extra bucks for that. I think that chances of getting B3 stepping proc now are very slim, most retailers don't have any older B3 parts in stock, since Intel only produces G0 since it was released back in August.
If you are buying in real store, look at Box, last 5 letters of the product code should say SLACR

If you already own original B3 stepping Q6600 processor, I don't think it makes sense to upgrade to G0 stepping, but if you are in the market of upgrading older single or dual core CPU, I highly recommend you to get Q6600, but make sure you are getting G0 stepping. If you are good at overclocking and/or plan to use water or phase changing cooling solution, you can easily push this proc to 4 Ghz. Just make sure you know what you are doing, because overcloking potentially CAN fry your processor, and definately voids warranty. I personally think it's safe to overclock as long as you doing it carefully, but I will not be responsible for any miss haps you might have. Hope I didn't scare you too much;)
Happy New Year, and good luck with your upgrades!

No comments: